Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Daniel Fast - Day 2 and Day 3





Technically I'm posting this on Day 3 instead of Day 2 but there is a story behind the posting. As of today (Day 3) we've now been snowed in for three days. Detoxing and being snowed in is NOT a happy combination. I have had a caffeine headache since Monday evening and then this morning when I finally woke up without one, my youngest decided to headbutt me in a pre-terrible-two- cabin-fever-induced rage. So to say these first three days have been challenging is a bit of an understatement!

Joking (or maybe not??) aside, we've done well with the fast. I mixed up my menu a bit and I realized that the most important thing I need in the house is snacks. We have eaten LOTS of all-natural popcorn and plenty of pineapple...not together, although that's not a bad thought. I used my new rice cooker Monday when I made brown rice with squash and zucchini. I also made my friend Cat's mushroom orzo soup. Yummy! Yesterday we had meatless chili for dinner and for lunch we had salad with oil and vinegar dressing and leftovers from the day before. Today I'll make rice spaghetti with homemade tomato sauce. I'm hoping to get to the store today, at the very latest, tomorrow. I'm not sure if that's going to happen because as I'm looking out the window right now, it's snowing AGAIN. We're conserving our juice and milk (for our youngest) and I'm praying it lasts one or two more days.

Our predicament reminds me of another bible story in Exodus 16.
Even in the midst of the Israelite community grumbling because of their lack of food, God heard them and provided for them. As undeserving as they were, God STILL provided! I know that we're not TRULY stuck in the wilderness right now, although it sure seems that way at the moment. But I've already seen God providing for us. Our juice which normally only lasts for one day has already lasted nearly three. We're down to a little less than half a gallon of milk but it's still there for our little Elijah and I found some powder milk that I can use if I need to.

It's little things like this that remind me that God is providing in big ways, even if we don't always see it. It's easy to get caught up in the what-if's and the grumblings when things don't go exactly as we expect them to go. We rage at God because we feel that He has left us when in reality He's waiting on us to acknowledge Him and his provision. We are so limited in our understanding and we like to be in control at all times. It's often very difficult for us to relinquish that control and allow God to move and to be our provision. I'm learning, slowly I'll admit...but I'm learning as a self-diagnosed control freak, to relinquish that control and to allow God to be Jehovah-Jireh, MY provider.

No comments: