Thursday, January 13, 2011

Daniel Fast - Day 4

I found a new blog to follow today and I'm so excited! Once again, my friend Cat has come through for me. The name of the blog is Post Punk Kitchen and you can find the link to the right of this post. I'm excited mainly because even though she's vegan, she gives ALOT of options for cooking without using Tofu! I've never tried Tofu so yes, I'm sure I could probably be persuaded to eventually try it but I'm pretty sure I could NOT convince my husband. There are some awesome looking breakfast recipes and desserts which really excite me but unfortunately are NOT Daniel Fast approved. She uses baking powder and syrup in some. :( I will definitely try them though when the fast is over! There are a couple of recipes that I do plan on making during the fast though too! One of the recipes I am DEFINITELY going to try is the Fluffy Mashed Potatoes.

3 pounds yukon gold potatoes
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk at room temp
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3/4 teaspoon salt (plus more for the water)
Several dashes fresh black pepper

Cut potatoes into about 1 1/2 inch chunks. Place in a pot and cover with cold water. Spinkle about a teaspoon of salt into the water. Cover and bring to a boil.

Once boiling lower heat to a simmer and cook for about 12 minutes, until fork tender. Drain potatoes, then place back in the pot. Do a preliminary mash with a potato masher, just to get them broken up. Add milk, oil, salt and pepper and mash until fluffy. You may want to add a bit more milk, if needed. Taste for salt and pepper and serve!

You can make mushroom gravy to go with this! Yummm!


Once again, we are OUT of school for a snow day. Now we don't go back until Tuesday because of the holiday on Monday. This is really a bit ridiculous. I guess today maybe God is teaching me patience??? I also have to decided to really try to eat healthier when all of this is over. I say that every year and we're good for about six months and then we fall back into our rut of eating out alot and going through drive-thrus. I'm going to attempt at least one vegan or vegetarian meal a week. That will be my new challenge for 2011. I'm hoping that in doing that, we'll start eating healthier every day and not just once a week. Seth made me promise that we still have our pizza nights and Caleb wants Chinese movie night too which should be okay. :)

Check out the Meatless Monday campaign here : http://www.meatlessmonday.com/category/breakfast/

What are some of the things that God is talking to you about during this fast?

No comments: