Monday, January 10, 2011

Daniel Fast- Day 1



So we woke up this morning to about eight or more inches of snow covering the ground! Gorgeous and also I thought, VERY appropriate for the start of a new season which is what I'm praying for! I just had to add some pictures here.

I made our whole grain oatmeal this morning with almond milk and fresh fruit. It was yummy. Caleb, our oldest son, has been very concerned with doing the Daniel Fast too. He got upset after he found out that the hot chocolate I gave him after playing in the snow wasn't Daniel Fast approved. I love that he really wants to do the fast with us and wants to understand it all. I had planned on making separate lunches, etc. for Caleb and Elijah (and I'm sure I'll still do some deviating for the boys) and so I was a little surprised when he came and told me that he really wanted to do the fast with Mommy and Daddy. It made me realize just how much those two stinkers really do listen and watch what we say and do! It also made me think that if they're paying attention, who else is?!? :) It brought to mind Genesis 31:44-54 when Laban and Jacob made a covenant at Galeed. Verse 50 says, "God will see it even if no one else does. He is a witness to this covenant between us." When we say we are going to do something or live a certain way, we sometimes allow ourselves little allowances but we expect others to totally commit and we're often the first in line to point fingers when they fail. We forget that God is constantly watching us even if there is no one else around. I realized that I really need to take this opportunity to be an example to everyone around me, my children, my husband, our church family....everyone! It's important to live a life of witness everyday, not just when we feel like it. Hopefully you'll join me these next few weeks as we follow the Daniel Fast and maybe something we experience or study will touch you and encourage you to live a life of witness. Enjoy!

I had to add some recipes to this post (mainly so that I would have them at hand)! I'm excited now for Mexican night which will probably happen Friday night. We'll see!

Tortilla Chips
- 20 corn tortillas
- kosher salt
- cracked black pepper
- lime zest
- olive oil

Cut tortillas into triangles and toss with oil, salt, pepper, and lime zest. Bake in a preheated 400-degree oven for 15 minutes or until crispy. Allow to cool and enjoy.

Pico de Gallo
-Just toss together chopped tomatoes, onion, garlic, cilantro, and jalapeno. Add a touch of red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, and fresh squeezed lime juice!

You can buy 100% whole wheat tortillas, but these are so easy and fun to make. Use these tortillas for a veggie wrap or for chips with salsa. I'm using them to make black bean burritos. I also like to top the burritos with some of the juice from the beans and then top it all with shredded lettuce and Pico de Gallo. Yummy!

Ingredients:

2 cups whole wheat flour

½ teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons olive oil

½ cup warm water

Preparation:

  1. Mix flour and salt in bowl.
  2. Add olive oil and stir until well combined.
  3. Add warm water 1 tablespoon at a time until the mixture starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl.
  4. Knead dough on floured board for about 3 minutes (20 folds).
  5. Allow dough to rest for 15 minutes (this is called resting)
  6. Roll dough into sausage-shape and then cut into 12 equal parts (cut in half, then in half again, then each part into thirds) and shape into little ball
  7. With a rolling pin, roll each little ball into a tortilla (for best results, roll out from the center and outward).
  8. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Fry the tortillas in a dry stick-free pan for about 30 seconds on each side for soft tortillas or longer for crisp tortillas.
  9. Keep tortillas warm by placing in a tortilla holder or wrap in a kitchen towel

Yield: Makes 12 tortillas


Also, a Tahini free hummus dip thanks to my friend Gloria!

1 can of white northern beans (not chick peas) ;-) drained and rinsed
1 tsp of minced garlic
1/2 of a squeezed lemon
1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper
pinch or so of salt
Extra virgin olive oil


Natures Table Chili from Joy

Yield: 10 servings
1 (2-pound) can Heinz tomato sauce 1 (2-pound) can kidney beans, drained 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 medium-size onion, peeled and chopped
2 fresh tomatoes, cut in small chunks
1 carrot, cleaned and grated
...2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon Spike All-Purpose Seasoning
1 tablespoon dried sweet basil
Shredded white Cheddar cheese for garnish (optional)
1. In a large kettle or stockpot, mix all ingredients except shredded cheese.
2. Bring ingredients to a simmer and cook for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
3. Serve with grated cheese.
Recipe note: This chili freezes well.

No comments: