Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Day 4-9 : Daniel Fast 2012

So I realize that I haven't posted the last couple of days. Once again little man decided to get sick! I thought the removal of tonsils, adnoids, ear tube, etc. would help but so far it hasn't. Although, it is possible that his cold could've been worse if not for the surgery...who knows really. Anyway, I figured it's time to get caught up on the blogging for those of you that are actually following :)

I'll admit, these last few days have been a little trying. It's (TMI) that TIME of the month if you know what I mean and I WANT my Dr. Pepper. I would also not mind a very nice bite of grilled chicken. I went out to eat Sunday after church with a good friend and ALMOST caved. Chili's has the absolute best Margarita Grilled Chicken Tacos!!! YUMMMMM!!! I was good though and just got the side salad, beans and rice instead. But BOY, I wanted those tacos.

How often do we think we NEED something when in reality, we'll live without it? As I was reading my book Stumbling into Grace again this week, one of the chapters discussed being fully satisfied both physically and spiritually. Psalm 63:3-5. Here are the personal reflection questions at the end of the chapter. I thought these went along nicely with my recent dilemma and thought you might enjoy reflecting upon them also. :)

1. What are two or three running themes of the unhealthy thoughts that most often clog your heart and mind? (e.g., weight, finances, relationship)
2. How do you typically pig out (e.g., food, shopping sprees) when you're stressed out by the circumstances of your own life?
3. If you could choose just one particularly toxic thought or coping habit from which to fast, what would it be?
4. Read Proverbs 3:9-10. Using the context of heart and mind instead of finances, how would you paraphrase these two verses?
5. Describe a recent terrible-horrible-no-good-very-bad-day when you didn't "hustle for chocolate chip cookies outside the temple" and instead went immediately inside to let God soothe the hunger in your soul.
6. Read Psalm 63. What adjectives, illustrations, metaphors, or movie scenes best depict how intimacy with God satisfies your soul better than anything else?

No comments: